- tendon /'tendən/ [from tendere 'to stretch'] 肌腱，连接肌肉和骨骼的结缔组织，白色，质地坚韧
- Your Achilles tendon or your Achilles is the tendon inside the back of your leg just above your heel.
- Your Adam's apple is the lump that sticks out of the front of your neck below your throat, if you are a male.
- distend: 膨胀 =swell
- extend: 达到, 伸展, 伸延
- extent: 长度; 面积; 范围; 程度
- attend [from ad- 'to' + tendere 'to stretch'] “(能力等)伸展之范围” 仔细考虑; 照看; 伴随; 出席
- contend [from com- + tendere 'to stretch'] “争夺锦标”——都使劲伸展胳膊
- intend [from intendere 'to stretch out, have as a purpose', from tendere 'to stretch'] “展开蓝图/宏伟画卷……”
- pretend [praetendere 'to stretch out in front, make an excuse', from tendere 'to stretch'] “老板假装发薪，我假装上班”
- portend [from portendere 'to stretch forward', from tendere 'to stretch'] 预示; 预兆; 预告
Nolo contendere is a legal term that comes from the Latin phrase for "I do not wish to contend". It is also referred to as a plea of no contest.
In criminal trials in certain United States jurisdictions, it is a plea where the defendant neither admits nor disputes a charge, serving as an alternative to a pleading of guilty or not guilty. A no-contest plea, while not technically a guilty plea, has the same immediate effect as a guilty plea and is often offered as a part of a plea bargain. In many jurisdictions a plea of nolo contendere is not a typical right and carries various restrictions on its use.
In the United States, State law determines whether, and under what circumstances, a defendant may plead no contest in state criminal cases. In federal court, the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure only allow a nolo contendere plea to be entered with the court's consent; before accepting the plea, the court is required to "consider the parties' views and the public interest in the effective administration of justice".
In the Commonwealth countries—such as England and Wales, Canada, and Australia—the plea of nolo contendere is not permitted. The defendant must enter a plea of "guilty" or "not guilty". If a defendant refuses to enter a plea, the court will record a plea of "not guilty".
六级/考研单词: heel, lump, swell, contend, illicit, plea, contest, unite, jurisdiction, alternate, plead, guilt, seldom, bargain, consent, administer, commonwealth